The State Fair

I know that most people go to State Fair's to see the animals and the crafts and projects and games and rides but after half a day of walking around the fair, the highlight was BY FAR the Demolition Derby. But I'll walk you through the few other things we were intrigued by as well...

First in the Art section, there was a whale tail made completely from steel. This picture shows how big it really was.
 See how I even kinda dressed like a prairie girl? Had to fit in at the State Fair...


The amazing thing about this was that up close, there were all kinds of designs and figures that made up the whole tail. And inside was seating for 9 people... super cool...


Now we had heard stories about fair food... but we didn't expect to see beaver and raccoon on a stick. Yes those are completely whole and staring at you.


When we got to the demo derby ring, we had about an hour and a half until the show started. Umm... we got bored.




For those of you who have never been to a demo derby before, I'll just lay it out for you. (Since I'm a pro at these things now because I've gone all of one time)

First the cars line up...


And then drive in circles crashing into each other repeatedly.










And that's pretty much it! Really. That's it. But you would be surprised at how exciting it is. Sometimes the car that's going to get hit guns it to get out of the way and there were some narrow misses. Also, the entire track was thick and muddy so you'd see wheels spin out and I could practically feel the tension of the driver's trying to get their cars moving... The guy who won had lost a tire. A TIRE. He was driving with only 3 tires and WON. It was amazing.

Then... they did it all over again. With motor homes.



This one caught on fire.



This guy was driving with the camper hood covering his view. I suppose he wasn't worried about crashing into anything...




And that my friends is what the state fair is all about. For me anyway. I'll definitely be joining the rednecks again next year for the best, free entertainment ever.

Popular Posts