Fashion Faux Pas

Thanksgiving is coming up and my immediate family will be making the trek up to Nor Cal to hang out for some turkey and my famous mashed potatoes. Since everyone will be together, my mom would like to get a family picture so they can use it for their Christmas cards.

We were talking about it the other day and she asked me what I was going to put Allie in.

"This." I replied, pointing to the denim dress she was wearing.

"NOOOOOO!!!!" came the quick response from my mother. "She has to wear something cute!"

"Okay fine," I said. "But no huge frills or lace tutus and NO GIANT WHITE BIBS."

Someone tell me we weren't the only ones to experience the Giant White Bib Movement of the late 80's / early 90's. Now to be fair, fashion is fickle and some trends are guaranteed to make you laugh when you think about them (I'm talking to you, overalls with one side unclipped). But I think trends these days just seem less funky, am I right?

Exhibit A: Easter Family Picture 1987. My Mom is 3 months pregnant with my little sister and she made these dresses by hand. Also, her glasses are huge but so were everyone's in those days. Come to think of it, so are everyone's nowadays. Look how happy we are to be sporting our giant collars. At least my dad looks basically the same. Actually, I'm pretty sure he still has that yellow tie...


Popular Posts