Furniture and stuff

Distressed furniture.

I don't get it.

We have a coffee table that was painted black and thanks to 5 years of actually being used, it's naturally distressed and I really don't like the way it looks. I have plans to sand it down to the wood and seal it like I did with the matching side table. Because both were free, I have no qualms about spending a little time and money to bring it back to its former glory.

But purposefully distressing furniture. it's all over Pinterest. I see it all the time. WHY? You just spent hours sanding and priming and painting and now you're going to go at it with sandpaper? Seriously, are you nuts?

I mean, I can understand that it is a fad right now. But it's definitely not one I want to be a part of. Once I finished painting Allie's bookshelf cubby thing, I didn't want her to go near it because she's a toddler and naturally destructive. Eventually she had to and turns out it has stood up to her abuse quite well but still. ALL THAT HARD WORK TO MAKE IT LOOK NICE. And then you go and ruin it. RUIN.

Okay fine, maybe I'm biased and this is only my opinion.

My next rant: chalkboard paint.

Popular Posts