How to deal with a live-in remodel

You would think that this being my second time through a remodel and knowing how long things take, I would have a better gauge on what to expect.

People keep asking how it's going and how I'm doing with it. For the most part, I'm okay. Do I love living this way? Of course not. Am I doing my best to be content and make it work? Yes. Are there hard days when I want to move away just to escape the work? Absolutely. As Brian pointed out, people get divorced over stuff like this.

God has been so gracious to us though. He has provided patience when it's needed, strength when it feels like there's no more energy left to do anything, and peace when we start going over our very overwhelming to-do list.

And we still like each other. Seriously, not only do I have the most amazing, hard-working husband but he is also so so patient and loving toward me. Especially when I have these major meltdowns because I can't use the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time to cook dinner (since we are without a stove right now).

So we're not perfect. Sometimes I complain and whine about how difficult this is for me (and I'm not even really the one doing most of the work). And sometimes remodeling just sucks. It's lame and hard and long and tiring. But we keep pushing forward, we keep making slow progress, and someday I will be looking out my brand new kitchen window while washing dishes in my brand new kitchen sink with my brand new baby sleeping peacefully in the background and my toddler playing quietly in the corner and think back on this and chuckle.

And not like that crazy "I've gone insane because I've had to dust junk off of the dishes I've just washed for the millionth time" high-pitched laugh that seems to happen a lot these days.

So here's how you deal with a remodel in 5 simple steps:
  1. Pray, because first of all, there's no way you can do this without God's help.
  2. Lower your expectations. 
  3. Expect bumps and delays along the way. And when they happen, laugh and move on.
  4. Stock up on microwaveable food and paper utensils. If you have a problem with using the microwave or ruining the earth, see Rule #2. 
  5. Plan to take a vacation when it's all over. You've earned it.

Popular Posts