Pioneering Pot Roast

by Steph

After browsing my usual blogs yesterday, I stopped for the usual hour (or 3) on Pioneer Woman's blog. I searched her dinner menu for a new dish to make. My husband is sweet but I think he's getting tired of chili and grilled chicken.

Most of the recipes on her blog are kind of complicated or froufy. If you've been reading my blog, then you know I do NOT CLAIM to be any kind of good chef at ALL.

I like her less complicated recipes like the ones where she cheats and uses Kraft Parmesan instead of the real stuff. Not the ones where she uses real sprigs of rosemary. But we'll get to that.

I decided to go with the pot roast for one big, giant reason: I could prepare it the night before, let it cook while I'm away at work and come home to a ready dinner. Perfection.

THIS IS HER PICTURE - NOT MINE!!!
(Lest you think that I suddenly am a whiz at taking pictures and managed to get them on to my blog. Also, lest you think that I make something that looks that good)

Here's the thing though: she cooks everything in a pan for a bit and then cooks it altogether for 3 hours in a Dutch Oven for 3-4 hours. I didn't want to cook for 3-4 hours and eat at 10pm at night so I thought I'd just throw all her ingredients into a slow cooker and leave it on low for 8 hours.

I chopped the carrots and onions but did not grill them. I also salted and peppered the pot roast like she does but again, did not cook it. I added 3-4 cups of water, instead of beef broth. I also threw the potatoes right in because I don't know what "mealy" is so I'm not sure I care if they turn out that way. I also added mushrooms and garlic and of course, I used dried spices. I'm sorry Pioneer Woman, I don't have a garden. I live in an apartment. My garden is the bush outside our window.

Please don't be like me. Follow her recipe. She knows her stuff.

I have no idea how it turned out because I just did this last night and I'm hoping for the best when I get home tonight.

Wish me luck!

Popular Posts