Not meant to be...

I know it's two recipe posts in a row but it's either that or I'm going to bore you with details of my cloth diaper research. I'm guessing this is more fun to read about than what kinds of diapers hold pee better.

I've been trying to spice up our dinner time. I make red sauce enchiladas every other week practically but I thought I'd try white sauce ones. They all look so yummy in pictures and what could be wrong with a sauce made entirely from cheese?

Lots, people. Lots could be wrong.
First I tried Pioneer Woman's White Chicken Enchiladas
From The Pioneer Woman
Verdict: Way, way, WAY too greasy. I don't know why it doesn't show up in her pictures but there was like a puddle of grease on the bottom of the plate and eating something so rich and greasy makes me feel like I need to wash my face immediately. Even my husband wasn't a fan... The taste just didn't outweight the grease factor.

I actually gave them one more try thinking that maybe I did something wrong the first time but lots more grease puddles later, I decided this recipe wasn't going to work. Plus it's a LOT of work (I mean she uses a "roux" base for Pete's sake. I had to Google it.).

Then I saw this recipe on Pinterest

Looked much easier and less greasy so I gave it a try last night.

Verdict: way, way, way too cheesy. Also, a little bit flavorless (although that could be because I left out the green chiles at the request of my husband) and the cream cheese was very weird to me. Ultimately, I was left with that gross, greasy feeling of needing to wash my face immediately afterwards.

So I've decided that white enchiladas are just not meant to be. I mean, it's totally an American creation anyway so it must be my true {half} Mexican-ness that's getting in the way. Besides if you ask for white enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant, you'll be laughed right out of your sombrero.

My husband's words were "I know you're sick of the monotony but I really, really like the old enchiladas."

Verdict: I'll be sticking to the old enchiladas to make my sweets happy. Plus it's what I really know how to do anyway.

Popular Posts