Pioneer Woman Banana Bread

by Steph


This is another PW post. And PW picture. {Note: no internet at home means either phone pictures or stolen pictures. I'm sorry PW.}

The Pioneer Woman Cooks is my go-to place for new recipes to try. She seriously knows her stuff. I've never made something of hers that didn't taste delicious. Her cooking posts are super detailed and she includes tons of pictures for each step so you know exactly what it's supposed to look like and how to do it.

Which means the culinary-challenged people like me can handle it.

With the overflow of uneaten bananas, I thought I'd go on a hunt for a good banana nut bread recipe. I didn't think I'd find anything on Pioneer Woman's site because she always talks about hating bananas. It turns out she had a recipe from her mother, but since she didn't make this one, there weren't lots of pictures and step-by-step instructions.

Here's the recipe...
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1½ cup + 2 TBLS Sugar
  • 3 whole Eggs
  • 1½ cup Mashed Ripe Bananas
  • 4 cups + 2 TBLS Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1½ cup Sour Cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour two 9" loaf pans. {Make sure you do this extra good otherwise your bread will stick to your pan and you'll be so depressed and angry and then you'll throw the pan across the room and miraculously the bread will still stick in there because you didn't flour it correctly. Don't let this happen to you.}

It helps to cover your hand with a plastic bag and spread the butter around with your fingers. For some reason the plastic makes it stick to the pan and not your fingers. Then throw in some flour and (over a sink) toss and bang the pan until it covers the bottom and sides. {This isn't in her directions but I'm including it because dummies like me need those kinds of instructions.}

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating for a few seconds after each addition. Add mashed bananas and beat. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients and sour cream alternately to the mixing bowl.

{Here's where I deviated from the recipe. My husband and I both love walnuts in our bread, so I threw in about a cup of chopped walnuts at this point.}

Beat well until all combined. Pour into pans and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Invert on a cooling rack and allow cake to cool slightly before slicing and serving with softened butter.

I know the sour cream sounds odd but trust me, it makes the bread so moist and wonderful - you'll love it.

[This recipe has been approved by the blogger's husband.]

Click here to go to the original recipe (and PW's website).

Popular Posts