Friday food funsies

by Steph

I'm so thankful to have lovely friends who read this blog and encourage me! You guys are the bestest...

Just for funsies today, I'm gonna tell you all about another PW recipe I tried last night.

Best. Lasagna. Ever.

This is NOT my picture! This is from Pioneer Woman's website!!!

Confession: I didn't originally intend to make this recipe from PW.

I had bought all the stuff to make a lasagna from a simple recipe I had found on AllRecipes.com. Last night, I pulled up the recipe on my phone and the webpage had an error.

PANIC.

For like a second.

Then *ding ding ding*! A little light bulb went on in my head.

Pioneer Woman has never let me down. I quickly navigated to her page {and yes, I always have Pioneer Woman Cooks as an open Safari page on my iPhone} and lo and behold, there was a lasagna recipe.

Except here's the thing: I didn't have the sausage, diced tomatoes or tomato paste. I didn't want to go to the store and get more stuff because we'd already maxed out our weekly grocery budgie so I decided to continue without it.

Instead of adding all the stuff to the ground beef, I just added the jar of tomato sauce that I had.

*Gulp. Yes, I did not make the spaghetti sauce from scratch. I'm lazy and a bad wife. {Don't tell my husband because he's still disillusioned about me. He thinks I'm the bestest.}

Anyway, her "marinara sauce" (can I call it that even if she doesn't?) looks super easy so I might have to try it sometime.

Also, I am not a fan of cottage cheese in lasagna. I'd like to trust PW on this but I've had it before and trust me, it doesn't work for me.

I happen to love ricotta cheese in my lasagna. I would make all ricotta cheese, but my husband doesn't like ricotta cheese. Ricotta is a fun word to say.

So I do what any wife would do who wants it her way but wants to also please her husband.

I make a half 'n half lasagna.

See? Compromise in marriage can happen. It's a win-win-win situation. {Thank you Michael Scott.}

So I followed the rest of her recipe the same, except I split the cottage cheese part in half and did ricotta in one bowl and cottage in the other. Then I just did half of the lasagna with my ricotta mixture and half with the cottage mixture. Easy peasy.

It was delish. I tried the cottage side and I'm sorry PW - I still do not like cottage cheese in my lasagna. It just doesn't make me happy. It makes me sad and nauseous. {Is that how you spell nauseous?} And no I'm not preggo, there are just certain foods lately that make me feel queasy. 

I did however, LOVE my half of it. I guess I can't say it's truly a PW recipe since I couldn't follow it all the way with the ingredients lacking, but it was still yummy just the same.

Once again, PW to the rescue.

Thanks Ree. You're the bestest too.

Popular Posts