Yosemite

by Steph

That's right people.

The day has come.

I'm sure you all had given up hope on seeing pictures of my own on this blog. Ever.

Well, technically my husband took all of these pictures but we are one flesh so I can claim his handiwork as mine.


The falls were absolutely beautiful. We were told that it was the most snow they've had in 20 years so they had waterfalls popping up all over the place.


We saw these signs all over the place. No big deal.


This was on the hike to Bridalveil Falls. About 15 minutes round trip - I was still unaware of the dangers to come so I'm still pretty happy at this point. And wet. See the dude in the poncho?


The roaring river next to Bridalveil Falls


This is what's called the Tunnel View. I didn't get too near to the edge at this point, but people in our group stood on the wall that separated us from death. My husband was one of those people. Fortunately, I am not a widow yet.


This is the beginning of the Vernal Falls Hike. Yes, I wore a bright pink back pack so in case I got lost, the bears would definitely find me. Oh by the way, that is also a 45 degree incline... my thighs were unhappy right about here.


After about 2 miles, you reach the bridge and the view is BEAUTIFUL!!!


My husband is artsy fartsy


Okay, let's just take a minute to notice all the lovely aspects of this picture. First, please notice the look of concern on my face. This lovely lady on the right, who was our host, was telling me about the next part of the climb. Second, please notice that waterfall in the background. The hike takes you to the top of that. Third, please notice the nice smiling man. Also known as Tommy "the guy who thinks this hike is easy". Nice. But a liar.


See the stone steps? See the cliff off to my left? See how I'm practically molesting the mountain on the right? See how strained and forced my smile looks? Unfortunately, I had just finished sobbing that I wouldn't go any further and that my legs were protesting having to carry my big butt up all those steps. Okay, not really but I was thinking of doing that.

I'm not that big of a drama queen people.


We're almost to the top. See the rails? They lasted for like a minute. I wished they had had them the whole way, but that would've been too easy.


I kept climbing. 6 million steps later. And I don't think you can really tell, but some of those steps are like an 18 inch step. My thighs were about to revolt against me at this point. And this was the thing that worried me - if my legs give out and I trip and fall, how will I stop myself from going over the edge?


This is at the top of the waterfall. Notice how there isn't a picture of me near the edge. Notice the look of despair and unhappiness on my face.


Then my husband said "Well at least try to look like you're having fun."


The hubs, however, did manage to get up close and personal with the edge of the falls. I cringed when I looked at this picture a few nights ago.


See where the white water trail ends? That's where the bridge is. Remember the bridge where my concerned face was uncertain of what was to come?


The hubs


The roaring Merced River. Someone died in it a month ago. I'm not kidding - Google the Mist Trail (yes, this one that we hiked) and in early May a guy drowned and they never found his body.


See the concerned look on my face? I'm fairly certain that the ENTIRE time I was hiking, I had a furrowed brow. As in worried and concerned for my life. At this point, our lovely host was telling me about the hike down. Fortunately, we didn't have to go down the treacherous stairs. Unfortunately, we had to keep going up for about 15 minutes.


Please note the tiny specs next to the falls on that flat piece of land. Those are people. That is where we were standing. Are you cringing now too? Good, so am I.


This is my Tusken Raider stance. That walking stick literally saved my life.



This is me posing as a serious hiker. Yes, that's a cliff behind me. Yosemite is full of them, in case you haven't noticed.


This was my favorite waterfall. The Yosemite Falls. The hike to the bridge was flat and easy, peasy and took about 10 minutes. There were handicapped people on this hike.


See? Look how happy we are. No cliffs. No burning thighs. No death defying acts.


Yosemite Falls


We saw wildlife!!! No bear... but we did see this deer butt. I'm not kidding, this deer would not turn around for anything. So that's all you get to see. A butt.

All in all, I'd say my trip was totally worth it and I'd go back in a heartbeat. But would I hike Vernal Falls again? Let's just say it was a once in a lifetime experience. As in my whole lifetime, I will do it once.

The end.

Popular Posts