Monday, Tuesday

by Steph

I was fairly ashamed to say that I don't know where some of those countries are. But here's the thing - can anyone look at a map of the world and point to a tiny obscure country and say "oh yes, that outlined blob right there - that's so-and-so country"?

I didn't think so.

Add to the fact that Belgium is sneakily called Brussels on Google Maps and my confusion has quadrupled.

And guess what... Turns out Malaysia is closer to Singapore than Taiwan is. And that's Taiwan - not Thailand. Totally different.

I wasn't a geography major, ok? And Saudi Arabia? If you're still reading... don't be offended. I know where you are now. And I was kind of right. Ish.

This is going to be another random general wonderings post (in case you haven't figured that out yet).

Here...we...go...

My husband and I have discovered something: moms everywhere ALWAYS have the most depressing stories that end with death. We have yet to find out why this is.

Example #1: Yesterday while hanging out with the husband's family, his dad was talking about the previous pastor at their church. "He's dead now" was his mom's addition to the story, along with an explanation of how.

Example #2: Once my sister commented while driving that the mountains looked pretty with snow on them. My mom proceeded to tell her about 2 people that died in an avalanche the week before.

Example #3: My husband has a bag of protein powder sitting on top of our fridge that his mom gave to him years ago. She asked when the expiration date was and he replied that it was January of last year. She responded with "Well, I heard of some people who ate Bisquick that went rancid and they died."

So what is it mom's? Is it like an innate thing that when you have children you just want to warn them and shelter them and keep them from the evils of this world? I told my husband that if I turn out anything like my mother and his mother, our kids will be afraid to go outside and will just sit around the house wearing helmets and padding.

Fortunately my husband won't allow me to shelter our future imaginaries like that but still. I really do think it's a mom thing. And now whenever we're with our respective moms and they throw out the "and they're dead", we just look at each other and smile.

And tomorrow, I'll tell you all about the pyromaniac family I married into.

Popular Posts