A Secret (read: Forgotten) Garden

by Steph

2 weeks ago, we were at Lowe's buying some paint for our new (to us) tv stand and lamps. As we were walking in, I noticed their rather large display of herbs and vegetables.

"Ooooh.... I really really want to buy some herbs and plant a little herb garden!" I gasped to my husband.

"Ok."

Just like that!!! I didn't even have to whine or coax or convince him that it was a good idea. But when it comes to healthy stuff, my hubby is pretty into it. Which usually doesn't work out for me (or my craving for cookie dough) but this time it did.

This is a picture I took with my phone but it captures the beauty of my little garden, I think.


We purchased (from left to right) basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme.

I was so excited to plant them. I've never had a garden before and any plants I've ever had have died a slow horrible death.

The first day we got them home, I lovingly watered and picked all the flowers off of the basil plant. (I googled it - if you let the flowers grow, they actually take away from the taste of the leaves!)

Then 3 weeks later, I remembered them.

Luckily for me, my husband has been diligently watering them every few days.

If this is any sign how I will be as a mother, well... that's concerning.

We've lovingly nicknamed them "the Precious's". But saying it all raspy and creepy like Gollum in Lord of the Rings.

Before I had my little herb garden, I had all these grand ideas of the things I would cook with my fresh herbs.

And then I looked at my recipes. One required fresh herbs. One out of all the recipes I had.

So I turned to P-dub. Of course...

A few nights ago I made Grilled Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta.

From Pioneer Woman
 She says that if you need to, add the pasta water. This is not optional if you follow her recipe, its mandatory. The pasta will become a bit chalky if you don't. So do it. Do it NOW. NOW. Okay, just kidding.

But it was delicious and super lemony and cheesy which I loved! AND the best part is that my husband loved it too so my basil plants will not go to waste.

Now to find a use for those other herbs...

Popular Posts