Unblocking the blockage

by Steph

Leave it to my sister to give me a little push/inspiration for some blogging. I suppose if all else fails, I could at least tell you what I spent my weekend doing...

On Saturday, we went to our first ever Russian wedding. You can see a sneak peek of the bridal shoot here. Natalie was one of the first girls I befriended when we went to our church and she is a dear, sweet individual. She's the kind of friend that will make you laugh hysterically one minute and then feel convicted and encouraged in the next minute. I love her to little tiny pieces and the only reason I'm a teeny tiny bit unhappy that she got married is because she now goes to a different church (with her husband of course). I'm just a teeny tiny bit (okay actually lots) unhappy about that. I'm actually a little bitter. Okay not really... but I miss her already!!!

BUT - it's not like she's moved to a different country. And she's even closer than all the friends I left 300 miles away so I'm not terribly unhappy about it...

Anyway, back to the Russians. The wedding seemed similar to our traditional weddings except for the prayers by the parents in Russian. I picked up a few words here and there but for the most part I just guessed at what they could be praying for. Also entirely awesome was the wedding was done by their pastor who had a Scottish accent. It was incredibly delightful and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was like listening to Merry from Lord of the Rings. "Dee-airly bee-loh-ved, we ah gatherrrred heeerrre in the sayt of Gohd...". That was my best attempt at typing out a Scottish accent.

The only part that we were umm.... slightly unprepared for was the food at the reception. I think it was the whole fish on the table as an appetizer that threw my husband off. We've tried borscht and plov and we LOVE both of those. We're even getting used to the fact that everyone (even the grade school kids) has tea and caviar as a snack. But I suppose we haven't really been fully exposed to an entire Russian palate and we are just having to get used to that...

Yesterday we had church and then time at the park last night with our church people. Lots of fun. Lots of SERIOUS volleyball playing. I had a few shining moments that I can't brag about too much on here because it'll come back to bite me in the butt. I will say this: it makes me happy that when we pick teams, we have a "rule" that all the girls have to be picked first. Such gentlemen at our church...

Well there's an update and a blogpost. Oh by the way...

...this time next week? I'll be in a metal tube 50,000 feet above the ground hurtling toward a teeny tiny island and a week of blissful tropical happiness.

Don't be jelly.

Popular Posts